Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pruning

I love the fact that God works in ALL circumstances for our good. What hope springs from that! Especially knowing that when I screw up (I screw up? Shocking, I know) He can still use my mistakes for His purpose and glory. Amazing. I love the picture of Jesus as the vine that is found in John 15:5 and how we are the branches connected to this source of life and power. But with that comes the issue of pruning. Just as the branch must be pruned from all that would work to sap its strength, so our life and character must be pruned to bring out the best of Christ in us. In my devotional today the author touched on this topic and how God uses this act of pruning in our lives to more completely manifest in us the fruit of His Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). I see Him doing this for me right now in the areas of parenting and financial strain. These experiences are challenging and often times painful, and they cause me more than anything else right now to turn to the Lord. And I believe that, especially in the area of patience right now, He is pruning me through them.

My thought for the day on humility: Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."
I desire for God to prune my pride as well, that I might be gentle and humble, as Christ himself was.

No comments: