Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The meaning of life

"By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." I John 2:5-6

It has come to my attention that the world does not revolve around me. Startling, isn't it? Even more earth-shattering is the fact that my own life doesn't even revolve around me. My sole purpose in life, as God has finally beat into my 32-year-old brain, is this: In all ways to become like Christ and to bring glory to my loving Father. That's it! That's what it all boils down to. How different my daily choices would be if I would just live by this each and every day! Which it is my desire to do. And this involves continually abiding in Christ. What does this mean exactly? I'm about to find out. My mom blessed me with a devotional for Christmas entitled "Becoming a Woman Who Walks With God" by Cynthia Heald. Her insight has already resonated deeply with me:
"To walk with the Lord is to be with Him consistently, to go with Him where He wants me to go, to let Him set the pace, and to delight in His companionship above all others."
How many daily issues for me does this address? Loneliness, waiting for the future to unfold, discipline, consistency. The list could go on.
I close today's thoughts with this prayer by A.W. Tozer which so stunningly speaks my heart:
O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I love this prayer!