Friday, January 08, 2010

Back to the Bible

I am all for a good devotional. I believe God has gifted people with the ability to clearly discern his words and will and to speak truth about Himself and His Word. I think they are a wonderful way to focus our thoughts on what living out this Christian life looks like, and I have gained a mountain of knowledge through reading and studying what other Christians have written. However, lately I have felt challenged about how much of my time I'm spending looking at God's Word and how much time with others'. I am currently so blessed by the devotional I'm reading but have also gone back to a Bible-reading "program" (that word sounds awfully stingy for something as wonderful as the Bible) that I have utilized in the past. I have a Bible organized by a ministry entitled "Change Your Life Resources" that I bought at a women's conference close to 10 years ago. For each day of the year it has an Old Testament selection, New Testament selection, Psalm, and Proverb or two, therefore allowing for a reading through of the entire Bible in a year. I can't say that I have ever read the Bible straight through, even with having this great resource in my possession. But I feel convicted anew that the real strength for my daily journey lies in the Words of our Lord himself and so have added this once again to my time of daily quiet.
Here are a few excerpts that I feel God pointed out to me:
Genesis 18:16-33 - Abraham converses with the Lord (face to face!!! That always stuns me) about the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah and continues to ask God whether he'll destroy these towns if 30...20...10 faithful people are found within their walls. I was struck by how patient and merciful the Lord is in these verses. If Abraham was my kid I would blow my top the second or third time he challenged me. "What is your DEAL? I'm the one in charge here! Don't push it kid." (Not that ANY of these statements has ever come out of my mouth with my actual kids. Ahem.) However, God continues to concede to Abraham's request, and the text does not betray an ounce of frustration or eye-rolling on His part. It's clear he not only loves Abraham as his chosen one but desires to spare those faithful ones of His from the same fate as those who have chosen to spit in His face.

Matthew 6:25 and 32-34 These verses consistently challenge me to reexamine my priorities and to STOP WORRYING as it cannot "add a single moment to [my] life".

Proverbs 2:6-15 I am particularly finding lately that I desire so much God's good sense and the knowledge of what is right, just, and fair. I desire to be a woman of God's wisdom, not the world's and certainly not my own.

No comments: