Friday, December 11, 2009

Impossibilities

If, like me, you've grown up in the church (or, really, anywhere not under a rock) you're familiar with the account of Jesus' birth, including the heads-up given to Mary by the angel, Gabriel. We who know this story know about the fact that Mary was probably quite young and also a virgin, which makes the fact that she became pregnant the ultimate oxymoron. Luke 1:26-38, this account of Gabriel's appearance to Mary, ends with this exchange between the two:

Gabriel: For nothing is impossible with God. (This, after he has just announced that not only will she, a virgin, be giving birth to God's own Son but that her apparently old relative, Elizabeth, would also be giving birth to a significant figure in God's salvation plan).
Mary: I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said.

It's true that there could be details to this story that have been omitted in its telling (perhaps the part where Mary FREAKS out). As it is, all we're given is "Mary was greatly troubled", her question: "How will this be?", and then verse 38 where she appears to accept it all calmly and with an unshaken faith. That is the faith I desire to possess. One that does not rely on me, on the world's perception of "normal" (ie: virgins can't give birth), or anything outside of the unending possibilities that are within God's capabilities. That is the key verse that I believe God is asking me to grasp today: "For nothing is impossible with God." I'm no virgin about to give birth or anything, but I do have 3 young children who have tested every sane faculty I possess this week (not to mention the four years prior to this week). I have limited finances yet a desire to climb out of debt right now. I have people in my life battling illnesses that seem inconquerable and wrestling with deep-seated hurts. I see an unknown future stretching ahead of me. I fail daily at exercising the faith I know is possible and see in Mary. Yet NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. Could it be any clearer? God humbled himself to become like us in all our fallen humanity. Yet he was not fallen. He took upon himself, through his Son, all of our brokeness and sin, so that we would not have to spend eternity seperated from His loving presence. He has already done the seemingly impossible. Now it's up to me to give up all my notions of what can be done and to surrender my will and control over my life.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I really liked this post. This is what Adult Education was on last Sunday. What I thought was interesting to learn about was that Zechariah was a priest. Luke 1:5-6 Him and Elizabeth ..."both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly." Yet, Zechariah questioned Gabriel. It reminds me how even one of the most devote believers can have a hard time not questioning. Luke 1:18. Yet, as you say anything is possible with God. Gabriel then made Zechariah mute. Luke 1:20. We live in this crazy world where everything is happening so fast. I feel like there are too many choices for me--for everyone. It is such a struggle to as we like to tell our kids..."listen and obey." However, I should daily surrender my will. It seems impossiable but like all that you have said it isn't. I honestly just need CONSTANT MINUTE reminders because I am so selfish.