Monday, March 15, 2010

Chains for Christ

Having never been incarcerated, enslaved, or in any other way physically restricted or imprisoned, I have often found it difficult to fully relate to Paul's predicament during which he wrote his letter to the Philippians. I mean, intellectually I get that he was in prison many times in his life and that this, for lack of a more eloquent term, sucks. Particularly during that time in the world's history when human rights weren't necessarily considered a given. But I think imprisonment could also be relatable in that it is figurative as well. Circumstances such as poverty, depression, illness, persecution - any number of evil things we face in this fallen world can trap us and threaten to break our spirit. So it is striking to read Philippians, then, in this light and see how in-line Paul's priorities are. His #1 concern is that the love of Christ is shown and the gospel of hope preached. He goes so far as to say, " Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel...and I will continue to rejoice." (Phil. 1:12, 18). Whatever the physical situation in his life, he understands that God can use them for His purposes and for the advancement of His name and glory, and this is his primary focus and joy.
Verse 12 stopped me in my tracks as I read it today. I asked myself, "Could I really be ok with ANYTHING happening to me, so long as it advanced the gospel?" The gut-wrenchingly honest answer to this question, in theory, is NO. I can't look down the road and say I would be ok with a terminal illness, decrease in income, something happening to one of my children, etc. etc. But in reality, who knows how I would respond in any of these or a number of other painful situations? I do know that, more and more, I realize the only good thing there is in this world is the love of Christ and the hope of salvation and eternity He gives. I know that everything in this world is touched by sin and is therefore fallen and full of pain. And so I surmise that I would cling to Him solely in the midst of any crisis. But, in the good and the bad, am I solely focused on Christ's love being shown and His message spread? Is that a priority for me? And can I look at the brokenness that is and will surely continue to come in my life as one of many platforms that can be used for God's glory? It is my prayer and desire that these things would be true of me. That I would always, ALWAYS "conduct [myself] in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ" (vs. 27) and would truly believe and live in such a way that "to live is Christ and to die is gain"(vs. 21).

No comments: